Conveniently located in uptown Charlotte, N.C., the 150,000-square-foot NASCAR Hall of Fame is an interactive, entertainment attraction honoring the history and heritage of NASCAR. It was the second highest attended sports hall of fame in America its opening year. The high-tech venue, designed to educate and entertain race fans and non-fans alike, opened May 11, 2010 and includes artifacts, hands-on exhibits, 278-person state-of-the-art theater, Hall of Honor, Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant, NASCAR Hall of Fame Gear Shop and NASCAR Media Group-operated broadcast studio. The venue is open 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. seven days a week and has an attached parking garage on Brevard Street. The five-acre site also includes a privately developed 19-story office tower and 102,000-square-foot expansion to the Charlotte Convention Center, highlighted by a 40,000 square-foot ballroom. The NASCAR Hall of Fame is owned by the City of Charlotte, licensed by NASCAR and operated by the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority. www.NASCARHall.com.
The NASCAR Hall of Fame offers five internships each term. Responsibilities vary and may change frequently to ensure a balanced learning experience for the student.
TERM OF SERVICE:
Internships provide unique experiences for students to learn in a real-world environment. Extensive training is required to learn our business, particularly in relation to our high-profile special events in January, May and October. Therefore, students are strongly encouraged to apply for two consecutive terms. The guideline for each term is listed below. However, we understand the need for flexibility in a student’s schedule and are willing to discuss adjustments to start/end dates or term lengths.
- Fall Term: Approx. September 1 to January 31 (5 months)
- Spring Term: Approx. February 1 to June 30 (5 months)
- Summer Term: Approx. mid May to mid August (3 months)
- The NASCAR Hall of Fame is open to the public 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., 7 days a week.
- The venue is often rented for special events in the mornings and evenings.
- Corporate offices are typically open 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday (hours vary by department).
- Extended hours are necessary around Induction in January, and race weeks in May and October.
- Some positions require weekend and evening hours to fulfill duties. Please see individual job descriptions.
- We will work closely with the student on flex scheduling to accommodate classes, vacations, holidays, special needs.
- Minimum of 20 hours a week is required. Preference given to students interested in full-time internships.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- An individual who is self-motivated, personable and enjoys working early hours, occasional weekends and evenings.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Reliable transportation required for travel.
- Must have completed at least two years of college and be in good academic standing. Preference given to graduate students or undergrads who receive school credit for this internship.
- Ability to work independently, quickly and under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take direction from multiple people.
- NASCAR Hall of Fame will comply with school requirements to ensure you receive academic credit for your work.
- Complimentary monthly parking in NASCAR Hall of Fame garage during internship.
- Complimentary one-year membership to the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
- Limited number of complimentary passes for NASCAR events.
- Reimbursement of any travel or business expenses (including mileage when driving locally for business functions)
- This is an unpaid internship.
- Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please include the following information in the cover letter:
- Term(s) requested
- Position(s) requested (if you are qualified for more than one, please state order of preference/interest)
- Will you be earning school credit?
- Preference of part-time or full-time schedule.
- Resumes must be received by the following deadlines:
- Fall term: August 1
- Spring term: January 1
- Summer term: May 1